Fix My Site

Does your site suck? Do you need professional advice? Do you not want to pay for this advice? Send me an email, and I'll take a look at your site and provide you with some real suggestions. By real, I mean real.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Welcome To Fix My Site!

The reason I created this blog is simple: I like helping people. As a professional web designer and developer, my expertise happens to lie in the arena where many people dabble and most people are clueless. I was also sick of flaming and posting on public forums where threads existed for as long as it took for enough new threads to bury them, and thus only a minimum of people were helped. So now, all of my help is going to be aggregated in one place. Some of these posts will be from emails, others will be posts I've made in forums. All will be helpful.

Feel free to send me an email at fixmysite.please at gmail indicating what problems you're having, and, if you're lucky, I'll review your site and post my suggestions here. In your email, please indicate whether or not you wish for your link to be displayed in my blog.

Be warned: I do not sugarcoat things. If your site sucks, I will tell you so. This does not mean that I won't provide you with useful information, but I feel that the best way to get your point across is to simply walk through the bush instead of beating around it.

Learn something!

-Jason

2 Comments:

At June 09, 2006 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help!

I am trying to add the doctype to my document, and I have put the below in my code, (as you suggested) but when I go to validate it at validator.w3.org, it still says that there is doctype found. Is there somewhere special I need to put this or something else I need to do? I am trying to read about this on the w3 website, but it's not very clear to someone who doesn't understand a lot about html to begin with.

I put what I believe is the right Doc Type in my code, (1.0 strict and 1.0 transitional) but it did not work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again!

 
At November 07, 2006 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I think its great you wanna help people. I'm not so old that my VCR blinks 12:00, but when I was in school, the Commodore 64 and the Apple IIe was all that existed. I didnt have any money anyways...then I got WebTV when I was about 28 in '98...now I can build computers, and know a bit about removing spyware/malware/rootkits and love open source stuff and boot disks *rawr*. I'm also the one everyone assumes is a geek because I can fix anyones messed up computer at work.
this means nothing to me and anyone that can code 1 line of Java or even know how to put code in a compiler is laughing right now (I cant do either).

The problem I have is, where do I learn anything of value? I cant go to school, I'm a single father. Sure, I learned some crappy HTML from draac.com the WebTV guy and I can use an FTP program to manage my godaddy.com-hosted sites, but I check Amazon.com and as soon as I see what I think is a GREAT programming book/Dummies/Sams/Wixx book, I read the reviews and EVERY ONE of them has a half dozen comments saying "Dont buy this book, theres many errors, the info is confusing, the formulas are wrong from page 5 on, I am MCSE certified and even I had a hard time deciphering this...". EVERY BOOK on programming is trashed by 25%+ of the reviews.

I just "dont get" some things, I dont know anyone in the industry that can speak with me on my level (I have an AAS in electronics at least) but I just dont get it. I get a free script to Desktop Engineering...and I wonder how the eff I could ever learn this, no matter how much schooling I had.

And I cant even modify php files in premade scripts for my favorite MMO but everyone else can. BAH!

Seen you from "Woot" (edelman's signature). Stopping by and saying "Sorry for the crappy websites I made" but I wanted to explain "why".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home