Fix My Site

Does your site suck? Do you need professional advice? Do you not want to pay for this advice? Send me an email, and I'll take a look at your site and provide you with some real suggestions. By real, I mean real.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Political Websites and Poetry

This webmaster's review has come just in time for Independence Day...

Anthony, creator of http://www.republicanoffensive.org, writes: therepublicanoffensive.org
I'm building this site for my brother. It's the first site that i've work on,and I don't know what to add to it to make it look more appealing.
Note to readers: Don't worry, I will not use this review as a soapbox for my political views. I promise to maintain objectivity and remain non-partisan. I mean, unbiased.

Anthony. Where to begin? How about with the good (as I usually do). Your coding is relatively neat and tentatively validates (meaning you're missing some metadata for the validator), although it appears you still have some inline styles and a few too many span tags. However, I don't know how many classes you really need with such little formatting. But we'll get to that in a second. Okay, more good. Hmm...your navigation is very clear and not confusing, always a plus.

Well, that's that. Bad stuff time.

Design: you have none. You want a way to improve your site? Normally I say start with content, but I personally dislike people who try to impose their political views (or any views, for that matter) on others regardless of whether I agree with them or not, so I'd say start with design. Right now it looks like a 12-year-old found Frontpage on his computer and decided to create a website between nap and snacktime. If you don't have Photoshop, there are plenty of cheap and/or free graphic editing programs out there. If you do have Photoshop, use it! Put some graphics in there. Make your site visually appealing! If you suck at design, well, see if you can get your brother to find someone to design for you. I'm sure he's got some connections.

Content: you have very little. You have essentially 10-15 paragraphs of content. The sites you're competing with for traffic have probably over 1000 times the amount of content you have. Literally. Assuming you get any traffic at all, do you think you're going to get any repeat visitors when you've only got two, maybe three "articles"? Maybe if you turned your whole site into your "my thoughts" section and used something like TypePad or Blogger, threw in even a modicum of design, and posted "your thoughts" every day, you would generate some traffic. Maybe.

Forums: get rid of them. Nothing looks worse than a site with empty forums. Maybe if you develop some sort of a following, you can put them back in, but I would wait until the site has been up for a while and people have been commenting. Assuming you give them some sort of interface with which to comment.

My summary, in five rhyming couplets:

While it seems like this is a short review,
I've actually given you a lot to do.

I understand this is your first site,
Which is why I'm helping you make it right.

Write more! Opine! Scathe! Vent!
Bash or support our president!

But if you want visitors to return,
Design and content should be your utmost concern.

Good luck and godspeed to you and your brother,
I hope I have helped you like I have the others.

4 Comments:

At June 21, 2006 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the poem! I randomly came across your site and have become rather addicted. The funny part is that I have no interest whatsoever in having a website. I just love how you write. If only you posted more often and wrote as sarcastic on you personal website.

 
At June 21, 2006 2:02 PM, Blogger Edelman said...

Ah, fans. Aside from fat-bottomed girls, you are truly what makes the rockin' world go round. Thanks for the comment, and especially for reading! Had I more people who wished to have their sites reviewed, I could post more often, although I believe quotidian postings should whet curiousity enough.

tell your friends! I'll be more sarcastic, I promise!

 
At June 22, 2006 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for reviewing my site.

 
At May 18, 2016 7:23 AM, Blogger hallsarah204@gmail.com said...

You're a great blogger! Thank you for this original piece of writing! Visit our custom paper writing services and see how professional scientific articles should be written! Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home