Fix My Site

Does your site suck? Do you need professional advice? Do you not want to pay for this advice? Send me an email, and I'll take a look at your site and provide you with some real suggestions. By real, I mean real.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Finally, He Has Contacted Me: Fix Me!

Well holy crap. I'm still alive, yep. I apologize to all my loyal readers who have been afraid to turn their comps off at night for fear that the window they've kept open for the past month and a half will magically update with a new review from me. It won't happen again. You see, I've been a bit, how you say, busy lately...........

Jason, brainchild behind www.littleworksusa.com, writes: Little Works USA

I've just finished working on a client's site, and was wondering what you thought. I cower in your all-knowing, all-seeing presence, O Handsome King of the Interwebs. Be gentle. I love you.

Jason, that's so sweet of you. You know, after looking at your site, I couldn't help but think, "Wow, this is the best all-around site I have ever seen on the internet. And damn, you must be good-looking and witty and smell of delicious." For real. I mean, let's talk flawless design, beautiful coding, fantastic programming, and overall wonderful structure. Ladies, gents, if you want to learn how to build a site, you should go take a look at what this guy has done, and maybe listen to what he says, because boy, oh boy, is he good. I love you, too.

Okay, so for those of you who are still catching up, well, man that Jason is awesome. The Awesome, in fact. For those of you on board, I salute you. I decided I would do something a bit different this time since I hadn't done anything in a while, and, I mean, the site is called "Fix My Site", so I proffer my latest work to you, John and Jane Q. Publix. Here's your chance to get back at every curse, anathema, malediction, and execration (all wonderful synonyms for the formerest) ever hurled at you through your CAT5 (or phone cord, Gramps) via my pudgy fingers.

But before you get started, I will include a mitigating list of known issues that I already know of and cannot do anything about:

  1. The HTML does not validate on pages that have an image button. This is because VS.NET 2003 inserts an invalid attribute into this control that renders the page, well, invalid.
  2. IE7 - The "featured product" content does not display. The background image on the subnav once the user is within the site displays sporadically.
  3. MacIE - This browser sucks and maybe 10 people in the world use it, so I did not code for it. Sorry.
  4. There's no secondary navigation at the bottom. I felt this was unnecessary and would throw off my pretty design, anyways.
  5. I know there is no "home" navigation element. However, as is standard best practice, the logo in the upper left corner is a link to the homepage, so get over it.
  6. Since I've added the CMS to the site, the client has made some modifications, so some things, such as pictures or colors, that look a smidge out of whack with the rest of the design are probably not from me. I'm just sayin.

Other than that, let me have it! Also, please patronize this site, as a portion of the proceeds go to charity. I hope you like my work! And, uh, if you're looking to have any work done, well, you know how to reach me *wink* *tongue click* *tongue click* *finger guns*. Don't be afraid to contact the owner of this site to ask her about me, either, she's been trained very well on what to say.

8 Comments:

At November 28, 2006 4:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason,

I am so pleased with the website! All of the comments I've received are positive 8)!!

Thank you.
Best regards,
Lisa

 
At November 28, 2006 11:45 AM, Blogger Edelman said...

well hello again, Girlfriend. So nice to hear from you :) Also, so nice to know that I can still burn the seams of your clothes off with nothing more than words. I wonder what else I can do with words?

Hey, isn't it about time you posted again, too? What is this more-than-a-month-long hiatus crap?

 
At November 28, 2006 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the baby blue cloth on fake wood grain background your doing or the client's? I guess you're trying to convey a sense of a down-to-earth knick-knack style store, but I think you can do it with a better bg choice. Also said background doesn't y-repeat well. I see a seam at the bottom of each page directly below the footer.

 
At November 28, 2006 11:52 PM, Blogger Edelman said...

Weird! I definitely tested the thing out and purchased a card without any problems. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It's been fixed. Go try to buy a card now!

 
At November 30, 2006 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site doesn't seem to work anymore in Firefox, at least not on my PC. All I get is the title, the rest is blank.

Had to blow the dust of IE just to view your site.

 
At December 01, 2006 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me above, I meant your blog by the way, not the other site.

It now displays fine in FF but won't let me comment!

Had to use IE again, probably infected now....

 
At December 01, 2006 2:36 PM, Blogger Edelman said...

Above Anonymous,

It is dedicated readers like you, those who will change browsers to be bathed in my brilliance, who are the reason behind the success of this site. There's little more a guy can ask for than for his users to change browsers when his site is in the durges. You, Mr/Mrs/Ms/Mz/Dr. Anonymous, are wonderful.

Thank you for bringing both issues to my attention. I don't know what I can do about them, since I don't control the comments section, but I will try my very durndest.

 
At December 21, 2006 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, thank goodness you're back...I was starting to worry. I know I had a reason for being too busy to post, but it's good to see that you did, as well. Don't let it happen again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home